My name is Kat, I am a 28-year-old chef with a very tight schedule living in New York City. Thus naturally, going to the gym or dieting is not an option for me. My workouts are short (but very intense) and do not require heavy equipment given that I can only exercise from home.
I know what you are thinking… but believe me, it is possible to do a full body workout from the comfort of your living room in just 40 minutes! That is the beauty of Calisthenics. Plus, you don’t need to be ‘super fit,’ everyone can benefit from a beginner’s Calisthenics program.
Choosing a Beginner’s Program
Even though I have been doing it for a while, I genuinely believe that the fastest way of achieving your fitness goals is by following a program. As a beginner, you should find the routine that best suits your needs and stick to it.
Why? Simple, Calisthenics’ beginner programs are the ultimate workout!
If you are serious about this, I recommend the Bar Brothers’ Workout Program. It is a step-by-step Calisthenics program with different workouts to be completed in 12 weeks that requires little to no equipment. But do not let the ‘easy-to-follow’ tutorials fool you. These brothers will kick your butt!
Click Here to find out more.
The Benefits of a Workout Plan
Like I said before, following a structured routine can help you achieve your goals in record time. However, there are a lot of other health benefits associated with following a workout plan designed by experts:
• It makes safe weight loss more accessible and efficient. Unlike, those ‘killer-diets,’ losing weight by following an organised regime can help you lose weight AND keep it off.
• It can prevent lifestyle diseases such as cardiac problems, hypertension, diabetes, osteoporosis, and more.
• It helps relieve sleep problems. Studies have shown that people that follow a workout plan regularly, may improve the duration and quality of their sleeping cycle.
• It is easier to keep track of your progress, making sure nothing falls through the cracks.
• It helps build life-long habits resulting in a better mood, more energy, and less stress.
• It avoids under-training. If you follow a plan, you are (more often than not) sure that you are doing a reasonable amount of exercises. In consequence, it also helps prevent injuries.
Tips for Beginners
Calisthenics are hard! — And whoever says the contrary, is either lying or has never done this type of exercises before. So, before starting, here are a few useful tips that will make your workouts run smoother.
1. Pay attention to your movements
Even though the exercises may seem pretty basic, it is critical that you pay close attention to your form. Most Calisthenics-related injuries are due to poor posture or lack of focus. If you are following a tutorial from home, I recommend you watch the entire video first before starting!
2. Be Patient!
It is better to start off slow and make your way into more complex exercises than overdoing it and getting hurt. If you are consistent, you WILL see results. I am not asking for a lot of time. The great thing about Calisthenics is that you start seeing results as soon as a few weeks after you commit to a program.
While I was doing the Bar Brothers’ 12-Week Plan, it took only three weeks for me to see toner legs, leaner arms, and more prominent abs.
3. Stretch – before and after every workout
Stretching is an essential part of Calisthenics. Before beginning your routine, you must stretch for at least 10-15 minutes to make sure your body is ready to workout.
Furthermore, after each workout (and while your muscles are still warm), you should stretch to avoid the accumulation of lactic acid.
Calisthenics Program Requirements
Like I said before, Calisthenics is hard. But you shouldn’t get discouraged. If a chubby girl, who basically eats for a living, can do it so can you!
It is, however, vital that you can comply with specific requirements. According to the Bar Brothers, before starting a 12-week plan, one should be able to do in under 40 minutes:
– 5 push ups
– 5 pull ups/chin ups
– 5 knee raises
– 5 dips
– 5 squats
If at first, you don’t succeed, this excellent guide that will whip you into shape in no time. But, if you do meet the requirements, then you are officially ready to dip into some strict high-intensity workouts. Let the fun begin!
1. How long should a Calisthenics workout last?
There is no definitive answer as to how long your Calisthenics workout should last. Many factors weigh in when determining your routine’s time requirements. However, on average, a full workout can be completed within 20-40 minutes.
2. How often can I do Calisthenics?
Depending on your ‘fitness level’ you might be able to exercise more frequently. For instance, if you are a fitness enthusiast with optimal athletic conditions, you may follow a daily routine. But, if you are just starting, you might want to work out every other day (or even every two days) to avoid muscle failure and prevent injuries.
3. Are there any dietary restrictions when doing a Calisthenics program?
No. Like any other workout plan, you should try to balance your meals and drink a lot of water, but there is not a specific food group you should avoid.
Click Here to Learn More about Diet when you are into Calisthenics.
Wrapping it up…
There you have it! But in case you skimmed through, let’s do a quick recap.
– Calisthenics help you build up muscle, become more flexible, increase your endurance, get lean, and master stability.
– The best way to practice these exercises is by sticking to a Calisthenics program. I fervently recommend you check out the Bar Brothers Program.
– If you are just starting, I suggest you take it slow, place close attention to form, stretch before and after every workout, and be consistent!